How To Add New Printer To Mac Like A Pro
Connecting a wireless printer with macbook can be a mess. If you don’t know how to add new printer to mac or don’t know what are the best methods you to connect it then you should read this article.
In this article, I will list out all the methods that you can use to add printer to mac. And I am pretty sure after reading this you will never search how to add printer to mac?
How To Add New Printer To Mac?
To add new printer to mac we are going to use macOS AirPrint. AirPrint is a special tool developed by Apple using that you can pair printers.
We have three methods to pair Printer- USB, Wireless network, and Ethernet connection.
Note: Whether your printer supports AirPrint or not it will automatically download the required software to setup.
How To Add New Printer- Step By Step Guide
1. On your screen Click on the Apple icon and then click on the System Preferences option.
2. In the next step click on the Printers and Scanners option. On older Mac devices, this will name as Print & Scan under Hardware.
3. Next, Click on the + sign below the list of printers. (see image)
4. Choose the Default option from the given option and macOS will scan and show all the printers list on the screen. Choose your printer and you will see some options.
5. You can select AirPrint, Auto select, or your printer to download drivers.
6. If you choose AirPrint it will automatically update all the drivers.
Choose your Printer if you want to use your printer’s default drivers or you can click on Auto select this will automatically find the best drivers for the printer and install it.
7. You will see your printer in the Printer’s list. It is connected and ready to use.
Also, tick the checkbox where it says Share this printer on the network if you want to use it on the wireless network. You successfully added new printer to MacBook. Now you can check if it’s working or not by giving sample print, don’t forgot to enter paper in the printer before doing this.
How To Add New Printer To Mac Using A USB Cable?
Some printer doesn’t support wireless connection at that moment so, we can use the USB cable to set up these printers. Although a printer with a wireless connection can also be set up using this method.
To connect your new printer you will require a USB cable. Before starting the connecting process make sure you double-check some basic things.
- Check if your printer is power on and there is no red/warning light turned on.
- Tune-up all the basic settings like device language, paper tray, etc.
- Check the attached cable to ensure the connection is secure and in the right slot.
- Make sure you inserted the ink/toner and paper in it.
- Download the required drivers/software to start the connecting process.
So, let’s start the USB printer setup
1. Plug-in USB cable into your MacBook or desktop (see image). Your Mac will automatically detect the printer when you connect it using a USB cable and download the latest software for it. But if it does auto-detect it then you can proceed to the next step.
2. Click the Apple icon and then go to System Preferences
3. Click on Printers and Scanners. On older Mac devices, this will appear as Print & Scan under Hardware.
4. Click on the + sign below the list of printers. (see image)
5. Select the printer you want to add. Look for a printer name with USB listed under the column for Kind.
6. Click Add and printer will be added to your list of printers.
How To Add New Printer To Mac Using IP Address?
Next we have, add printer using IP address. To use this method you need printer IP address.There are 5 methods to find your IP address.
1. Click the Apple icon and then click on System Preferences
Readers Also like
2. Click Printers and Scanners. On older Mac devices, this will appear as Print & Scan under Hardware.
3. Click on + sign below the list of printers. You will get option like Default, IP, Window click on IP option, and enter your Printer’s IP address and it fill the rest information automatically.
If you don’t know what is your printer’s IP address then you can find it here Find your IP address (see image)
4. Name your printer if you want to or you can leave it as it is. From the Use option, you can select which driver source you want to use to download your printer’s driver.
5. Check all the settings and you will see your new printer in the printer list. You can make it Default for this click on the Default printer and select your printer. You can also select the paper size that option is available under the Default printer option.
Check if it prints or not by giving sample print. If it prints then enjoy your printer and if you face any issues then you can contact support.
Hope this guide will help you. If you have any doubts or suggestions please comment. Thanks