Factory reset MacBook in No Time
In this article, you will learn how to factory reset your MacBook effortlessly.
Resetting your MacBook to factory settings can help your MacBook in many ways. But why would anyone factory reset their MacBook?
Well people do this in mostly two scenarios. First of all, when they are having any issues with their device functioning and they can’t find what the issue is, and second, if they’re selling it or giving it to someone, they have to reset it and remove their account from it, so that no personal information will pass to another person.
Now which one of them is you?
Using our step-by-step guide, you can easily reset your MacBook to factory settings. And don’t worry about your MacBook data; we have your back. In this post, we will also guide you on how to create a time machine backup and restore it. So, are you ready? Let’s start the process, and stay focused.
Must-Do Things Before Factory Resetting a MacBook
Before I guide you through how to reset Mac to factory settings, there are some important steps that you need to follow that will help you backup your personal information.
Follow this five-step guide in which I will guide you on how to remove your apps and de-authorize them so you never lose your data at the time of device reset.
Step 1: Back up or clone your MacBook hard drive.
Before resetting your MacBook, you need to backup all the important data to make it safe.
(How to backup MacBook with Time Machine?)
1. Connect the External Hard drive with your system. You will see its name on your MacBook screen.
2. Open the System preferences and click on the Time machine
3. Choose a backup disk.You can use the Encrypt backup method to make it more secure. For this, you need to tick the Encrypt backup option.
5. After the completion of the backup, you will get a notification on your screen.
Readers Also Like:
- How To Download YouTube Video On Any Device?
- Learn Now How To Pair AirPods To MacBook?
- How To Screenshot On MacBook?
How To Make A Clone Of Your Hard Drive On MacBook?
1. To make a clone of your hard drive, you have to connect the hard drive to your device. Then connect your device with a power cable as this process can take a long time and we don’t want your system to die in the middle of this whole process.
2. Now, press the Command and R keys to restart your device.Press the power button and hold the Command and R keys and release them when you see Apple’s logo on the screen.
3. Once it restarts, click on the Disk utility option.
4. Select your external Hard drive from the sidebar.
5. Click on restore and select the drive from the dropdown and then hit restore button.
6. After completing the cloning, you will see a screen like this (see image).
7. To check if the cloned hard drive is working or not, we will restart it with the new hard drive. And for this, click on the Apple icon and then click on the startup disk.
8. Now select the drive that you recently cloned with all the data. And then click on Restart. Now the MacBook will use the new hard drive and show all the data that is available on it.
9. You can check each app and file one by one to see if they are working or not.
After checking everything, you can now remove the Hard drive to do this, first shut down your MacBook as right now it is working on your connected hard drive. Remove it and then restart it, and you are all good to go.
Step 2: Deauthorize Your iTunes Account
Make sure you deauthorize your system from all the important apps like iTunes, iCloud, iMessage, etc. Let’s start with iTunes. Open iTunes and then click on account. Hover over authorization and from the options, click on deauthorize. It will ask you to enter your Apple ID password. That’s it.
If you are using iTunes 11 or earlier, then the settings will be a little different. In older versions, click on Store > Deauthorize This Computer. That’s it.
Step 3: Disable iCloud
1. Open System Preferences and click on iCloud.
2. Click on Sign Out.
3. Make sure everything is checked and then click on “Keep a copy.” After that, you have some options. Follow them and click on “Delete from Mac.” It will ask for your Apple ID password.
4. Enter your Apple Id password and you are now sign out from “iCloud”.
Step 4: Sign out of iMessage
Open the Messages app, choose Messages, then Preferences. Click “iMessage” and “Sign Out.”
Step 5: Unpair Bluetooth devices
To do this, go to the Apple menu, then >System Preferences, and choose Bluetooth. Here, you can unpair keyboards, headphones, or other Bluetooth-enabled peripheral devices.
How To Factory Reset MacBook Pro Or MacBook Air?
• The first step is to Restart your MacBook in Recovery Mode.
• In the second step, hold down the Command and R keys (see image) on the keyboard and turn on the MacBook. Do this until you see Apple’s logo on the screen.
• Select your language and continue.
• Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. Choose your startup disc (Macintosh HD by default) from the sidebar and click the Erase icon. (See image)
• In the next step, you will see a dropdown from where you can select the option to choose. Choose APFS and then hit erase. Click on it and it will start erasing the data.
• A message will appear on your screen stating that all data on your Macintosh HD has been deleted.
From the main menu, choose the Reinstall macOS option, which is the second option from the top, and click Continue.
• It will begin the re-installation process, select your drive, and walk you through the steps.Everything is done. Check your MacBook. It is factory reset now.
I explained everything about how to factory reset MacBook settings. If you have any queries, then you can comment below. We will definitely try to help you. You can also visit Apple Support and tell them about your issue.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much time it will take to reset mac to factory settings?
Well, there is no fixed time for it, it all depends upon your system.
I don’t know how to reset mac to original settings, what should I do?
Don’t worry you can follow the step by step guide given in this post and reset mac to factory settings.
What data i can backup using Time Machine?
You can backup every bit of data that is available in the mac, without any problem.
If reset mac to factory settings will hurt its performance?
No, if you reset Mac to factory settings it will fix all the problems and you will get better performance.
I was trying to reset mac to factory settings, but it didn’t work, what should i do?
Make sure, you follow the same steps that we mentioned in this post. But if you still face any issue you comment below, we will try to help you.